Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What I learnt today

Indonesian cant queue, there's nothing new about it. But Dutch that cant queue is new, at least for me.

I was at my GP this afternoon for check up when it happened. My appointment was at 13:50, I got there 5 minutes late. I know, it's terrible. To my defense, it never happened before that I got there and got help straight away.

Anyway, there were 2 guys waiting before me, (I think)a Moroccan and a Chinese. Then came this dark skinned girl after me, followed by this posh Dutch lady. This Dutchy asked who was the last patient, and acquired what time did she have her appointment. This girl answered, 'At 14:10, but it doesnt matter, it's always first come first serve.' But this posh lady wont take that answer, saying her appointment is at 14:05 so she must go first. Then she went to the receptionist/GP-assistant to get earlier face-time with the GP and to our surprised she got it!

So I asked the Chinese guy when his appointment was, it was at 14:00. Then I told the girl when my appointment was. That girl went protesting to the receptionist and was told that that lady was in a hurry or something. We found it ludicrous how they handled the matter.

At situation like this I cant help to wonder, what if all of us were Dutchies, would she still have done that?

Well, I wasn't in a hurry & in a good mood, so I let it slide. I only said to that girl, ' So, you learn something every day, huh?'.

3 comments:

Nana Podungge said...

I agree with you that this is a very common thing to happen in Indonesia everyday.
Some years ago, there was a guest teacher in my workplace, from England. You know what? She even admired this so-called bad habit because she didn't find it in her home country. She said, "Well, when I am not in a hurry, and there are some other people who need to rush, why don't I just let them served first? Who knows in the following chance, I will be in their shoes?"
And I was dumbfounded to hear that, almost didn't believe in it.

triesti said...

I think it depends on the attitude. If that person was in a hurry and I was not, and she asked me politely, not like the way that lady was acting, I didnt see why not helping her out.

That lady was acting out like she's all important and the rest wasnt.

Jenny Quld said...

As an expat I have to say the problem lies with the receptionist. This person should have been told to wait as all people no matter what their origin are equal. Indonesians can be to subservient to their own detriment as others will always take advantage. You need to stand up sometimes