Friday, June 08, 2007

Everyone's A Little Bit Racist



When I told D that I am a little racist, he looked at me strangely. I know most people would deny that they have prejudices, let alone admitting they are racist. However, I believe each and everyone of us are a little racist. Go on, admit it. No, not racist in the sense you are into hate crime or anything, however, we consciously or unconsciously have our prejudices about others. Our unconscious attitude may be 180 degrees different than our conscious values. It is because our surrounding influenced the way we think & feel which are important in things like prejudice and discrimination.

Remember about the dolls experiment? It shows that as young as 4-5 years old, children have (racial) biased thoughts. In most societies lighter skinned is considered as more beautiful or simply better. You don't choose to make positive associations to lighter skinned, but you see it everywhere that groups is 'reflecting' good things. It is sad, but real.

At Harvard Uni, Anthony Greenwald, Mahzarin Banaji, and Brian Nozek created the Implicit Association Test (AIT) which is based on observation. We are forever making connections of ideas in our mind. Sarah - Female, John - Male, Laundry - Family, Merchant-Career. How about putting words into categories? It feels uneasy for me to put a word like 'Laundry' into 'Family' category when 'Family' was paired with 'Female' or when I put 'Merchant' into 'Career' when 'Career' was paired with 'Male'. But it took me a while when the categories were reversed.

According to the study, our attitude toward things like gender & race is not straight forward. On conscious level, we operate deliberately in accordance with our values. However, our unconsciousness, the one that AIT measured, reflects our automatics associations before we've even had time to think. The formation of it came from the experiences we've had, people we've met, books we've read. This can also predict how we act in certain situations. If you have a strong preference towards white people, chances are you are behaving differently in the presence of black person. You might not be aware of it, but you'll probably smile less, keeping more distance, hesitate. And those unconscious behaviors do matter. That person will pick up your behavior and feels uncertain about himself, which in turn give you the wrong impression about him. Imagine if it happened on interview. The chance of that person getting that job is just diminish.

Interestingly, even though I think I am a little racist, my AIT result suggest I have little to no automatic preference between European American and African American. I was surprised, I thought with all those Hollywood movies I've been watching, living in the predominantly white neighborhood, my result would suggest a moderate automatic preference for white.

5 comments:

Connie Missipi said...

Well said, more or less, we all do....

spew-it-all said...

How intereting to know that black is considered bad. As far as i know historically black was considered bad as oppossed to white. This representation went along with imperialism which partly showed the racial superiority and perhaps claimed the aesthetic value of beauty .

Nana Podungge said...

I agree with you Triesti. Absolutely I will say that I AM NOT A RACIST if one asks me to say it openly. However, in the reality, although it happens only at the beginning, sometimes it does happen to me too.
When I find a black student in my class (either from Papua or from its neighboring areas such as East Timor or West Timor), I will be awkward at the beginning to be friendly to him (especially him). Although yeah ... it doesn't take a long time for me to be awkward like that. I will force myself to treat him the same way as my other students who mostly come from Java island.
I don't find it difficult when facing Chinese students in my class though :)
I suspect that I am myself really a serious victim of propaganda of beauty is white, or at least FAIR skin.
Uhh ... annoying of me. :((

Nana Podungge said...

Btw, will you tell me how to upload a file from www.youtobe.com into our blog? Thanks before :)

Anonymous said...

well.. if I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

1. go to youtube
2. check on the right side of the vid. there's 'Embed' section, copy that.
3. go to your blog, paste that
4. publish