Friday, October 16, 2015

It's Good For Your Health, They Said...

Those who knew that I am actually sick, sometimes came up and told me that such and such took this and that supplement/herbal/drugs and it helped their cancer/disease/etc.

Depending on my mood my reaction would be smile, nod, move on; or, I would tell them that it won't work with me because it is different than autoimmune. There were times when I was too tired to discuss about their suggestion and too upset as they kept insisted that I said, 'look, if I tried that, I might die'. Then I left. The truth is, I might not die from it... but I'd be in agony just like two nights ago and yesterday.

So several people has been saying that I should've tried chlorophyl or spirulina. I wasn't sure. I figured it might increase my fiber intake. So I was asking this pharmacist about it. He said it is good and ok to try, but there is a better one: astaxanthin. Then a fellow autoimmune patient said she took if for a while and it's been great. That was weeks ago.

On Sunday I managed to go to a pharmacy and remember about buying it. The remembering part is crucial as I have brain fog often. Not as sever as last year when I forgot my name. I bought the lowest strength. I took it on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I remember on Tuesday I woke up with pain in my left foot where the ligament was torn last year. I found it so strange as I had never had any problem before. the pain subsided in an hour or so. In the middle of the night of Wednesday I woke up due to pain in my right hip as I was sleeping on my right side. I changed position but the pain persisted. on Thursday I was in pain, I haven't been in such pain for along time. my right side was in pain from head to toe.
Only after I took another astaxathin after dinner I was thinking what was different in the last several days, and it was astaxanthin. I started to search pubmed. and there it was: benefit: increase immune.

As someone who needs to tame her immune because it was too strong, taking a 'harmless' supplement which turned out increasing the said immune is just plain stupid. I learnt my lesson.

2 comments:

colson said...

Poor as it is, I can only offer my distant compassion. While hoping your condition is better now.

But it's terrible. It shouldn't be possible. Seeking medicine to ease the pain, it turns out to make it much worse. Isn't that gross lack of pharmaceutical professionalism?

ta said...

I heard from several people with autoimmune that they have been taking it for ages and feels fine.go figure.
I just strengthen my believe not everything herbal is good and harmless.

I am in a much better situation health wise. still have to recuperate from the damage tho. Thank you for your compassion.