Sunday, August 03, 2008

On Insensitive small talks

Once, I told my father that I am wary about interacting with fellow Indonesian. I am so out of touch of Indonesian way of small talks, it makes me wonder if I can survive socializing in Indonesia. He assured me that I have nothing to be worry about.

I guess he didnt expect that I had to deal with the conversations I had after he died.

Amongst people who came to pay their respect to him, several spent some moment talking to me about him, how good he was, how kind he was, and how he kept talking about me to them. It was nice hearing the wonderful things he did, but it also made me sadder for the fact he's not around anymore.

However, it was with people who didnt know my father/family very well that I had my most difficult conversations. Some left me speechless.

Take my conversation with one of the neighbors, after we just buried my father. Keep in mind I had never have any conversation with her before in my life. When I sat near her she asked me to help her daughter getting a job. Before asking if I regret not being home for so long. I mean, I just buried my father only hours ago, and the last thing on my mind is her daughter. Besides it is none of her business if I regret it or not.

It is insensitive people like her that I cant stand & dont know how to deal with. Unfortunately, there are plenty of such people around, and sadly enough most of the time they think they are being nice.

1 comment:

Pojok Hablay said...

My condolences on the loss of your father. I can only hope that your memories of him will be some comfort to you and God give strengths for you and family.