Monday, April 20, 2009

Last wish and Sperm

Reading this article, I cant help but wondering the limit of honoring one's last wish. I cant believe I am writing this, but as much as I support people using spermbank, I found using dead person's sperm is over the top. While not all children created using sperm donor know who their donors are, but at least the donor gave out his sperm willingly (what ever their reasons were.), not with the help of some technician at the morgue.

I am sure that lady in the article would love her baby dearly as her last connection to the dead boyfriend. But I think it's not right to have a child knowing full well that the father is already long dead when he/she was conceived. It goes against nature in so many level. It's not the same as unknowingly carrying one's child when the father died.

It is even weirder with the second story in the article. Harvesting one's sperm so that she has the option to carrying his will to have children. Where does it end?

Is it just me becoming more conservative or the world's gone bonkers?

2 comments:

paman tyo said...

mmmhhh saya masih gagap menyikapi beberapa pencapaian dunia kedokteran. di manakah batas hak seorang perempuan atas alat dan kemampuan reproduksinya?

triesti said...

well.. i think in this case is about a dead person's right. I think we violated the deceased by harvesting his sperm.

as for woman's right to her reproduction, I am pro-choice. And I think we need to change our health law to give women more protection. We have enough maternal death already, do we need to add more by not allowing women having safe abortion?