Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Love is a practice

When it comes to relationship, romantic or otherwise, I am clueless. I seriously thought I might be an Asperger sometimes. Seriously. Coupled with the fact I scored low in a facial expression recognition test, I really wonder, maybe I am a high function aspie.

I've been told that I have no empathy when I did things because I thought that very person who accused me of having no empathy might needed it. It's very confusing for me. And frustrating too.

When I started learning about Vipassana, I also learnt about Metta Bhavana (it's ancient Pali words), an ancient Buddhist meditation of cultivating (bhavana) love, kindness or friendliness (metta). Apparently practicing Metta leads to a more empathetic, more considerate, more forgiving person. In short a better person.

I asked a lot of question about metta bhavana that Ven. Ratanapala asked me the reason behind it. Luckily he was very patient to explain more about it.

He also touched a bit about relationship in Buddhist way, which is easy to say than do. A relationship without attachment. Come to think of it, it's nice not to be attached to anyone but still in a loving relationship. Non-attachment doesnt mean one is not care. It doesnt imply complacence or indifference, or not having a commited relationships. But it has more to do with our urge to defy change.

Anyhow, I still need to learn about love, empathy, the whole nine yard. But I think I am on the right path.

May all being be happy

No comments: