Wednesday, November 02, 2005

It's in the eyes

I was at a Chinese doctor's office for hours the other day. It was my second time meeting the doctor, and in both meetings she asked me where I am coming from. When I said I am from Indonesia, she said, “You are pretty, and looked like a Chinese girl". I am not kidding, that's what she said; I apparently looked like a CHINESE! I think it's the first time I heard it from a Chinese person. Before, some people (read: European, African or Middle Eastern) think that I am from Thailand, or The Philippines, and occasionally they think I am Chinese.

Granted I have slightly slanted, almond-shaped eyes that are getting narrower each time my glasses are getting thicker, and almost straight hair. But my skin is not yellowish like (most of) Chinese. Mine is more like the color of biscuits, at least that's how I see it :) The color goes darker in the summer as I get burn rather easily and it turns lighter during winter months. I know some of you who have seen me in person would argue about it, well, you can call it whatever you want, mocha, chocolate milk, anything... for me: it's biscuits. You know, it looks sometimes like burned biscuit, and sometimes like proper Verkade biscuit you bought at your local supermarket. :D

I found her comment quite interesting, especially for as long as I can remember I was always teased by friends and family as 'Hitam' (Indonesian for black). So, being told that I am looking like Chinese is whole new experience even though my dear friend teased me that yes, I looked like Chinese, the one from countryside :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ndak masalah dikira orang apa saja.
btw, verkade itu saya suka!

triesti said...

Verkade yg mana mase? Kan ada macem²... yg digestive tuh lekker.

iya, lucu aja.. biasa dibilang Item, tau2 dibilang Amoy. Walau curiga tampaknya emang ada keturunan entah di sebelah mana

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. gue juga bingung tuh.. orang2 seringnya juga ngatain gue Cina.. emang muka gue mirip gitu?

Btw, Met lebaran yah.. maapin gue kalo jarang ngocol selama ini..hehehe...