Friday, November 13, 2009

Superstition

It's Friday the 13th. Some people are superstitious about it, since Friday and 13 are considered unlucky. For Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese, number 4 is considered bad luck because phonetically it sounds like death in their language.

I still get confused when I go to malls in Jakarta, because most if not all dont have 4th floor, but they have lower ground, ground, upper ground floor, followed by 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rdA floor.

Some places in Java also have certain superstition, that people try to adhere.

Take Prambanan temple in Central Java. It is said that unmarried couple should not visit this temple if they want to continue their relationship. The source of this believe, I think, because of the legend that Loro Jonggrang asked for 1000 temples to be build in 1 night by Bandung Bondowoso before she would agreed to be his wife. Before the dawn, he already finished 999 temples. Knowing this, Loro Jonggrang tricked him by lighting huge fire in the east so the cock began to crow. As Bandung Bondowoso used help from the spirit world, they left him when they thought it was already morning time. When Bandung Bondowoso found out about the trick, he was furious and cursed Loro Jonggrang into the 1000th statue.

In Trowulan area, there's Bojong Ratu temple, it's the gate to the ceremonials site of Majapahit. It is said that the ashes of Hayam Wuruk one of the greatest king of Majapahit is buried there. According to local belief, if a person with certain standing came to this temple, he would lost his position. Therefore, eventho some of Indonesian officials visited other temples in the area for meditation/praying, they never visited Bojong Ratu temple.

The other superstition is about Nyi Roro Kidul, queen of the southern sea, and her fondness of green clothing. So people are not supposed to wear green clothing when they are in the area of her kingdom, which is basically along the southern part of Java. It is said if one wore green clothing, the Queen would've taken you with her.

In my father's family there is this superstition about our family cemetery in Central Java. It is said that no menstruating women are allowed to get in. The last time I went there was with my late father ages ago. Upon arrival, I found out that I had my period which I wasnt supposed to have at the time. So my father said that I just followed him till the edge of the cemetery, and he alone entered it. At that time I had no idea about that superstition. Since I didnt feel comfy about hanging out by myself over there (there are lots of snakes in the area), I went in but not close enough to where my father was sitting. Hours later, on the way back to Jakarta I started to have this violent stomach ache, followed by high fever. I ended up really sick for 3 days and missed out my organic chemistry final. On the 3rd day my father started to get sick too. He was even ended up hospitalized! Logic said we both were just too tired from the trip. But those who has sixth sense told my father that he broke a rule, and my father agreed. I asked him what rule they were talking about, and he told me about my entering the cemetery. That's when I found out about that superstition.

I never have any problem visiting my father's cemetery while having my period eventho people said it's one of haunted cemeteries in Jakarta. But let me tell you this, to be on the safe side, I wont visit that family cemetery in Central Java while having my period ever again.

Believe it or not, some places are just too weird for my liking.

No comments: