Friday, August 20, 2010

CODA Flash Mob

I know, I know, flash mob has been done before. This one is a bit different as it is done using Sign Language by CODA, child of deaf adult, to highlight the importance of Deaf culture for hearing children of deaf parents.



One of my nephews has deaf parents. While most of my big family prefer that he is raised by his hearing grandparents in Jakarta, I believe he is much better with my cousin, his mom, and her hubby in USA. At the moment he is bilingual: English and American Sign Language. If he lived over here, he would've lost his ability to communicate with his parents in ASL and missed out their culture.

An interesting thing about CODA: some of them identify themselves as deaf even though they are hearing, because they grew up in that culture and their first language is Sign language. However, some deaf people refuse to acknowledge CODA as part of Deaf culture because they are hearing.

No comments: