Saturday, June 26, 2010

Angel and Satan

I was in a great deal of pain since last night, that I couldnt even think straight when I heard this discussion this afternoon, so please take this into account. I cant recall what prompt the discussion, but this lady asked why there are more moslems who are possessed by satan than christians. To my understanding the guy said something about there are more satan and spirits in Islam than in Christianity. He then said that moslem are not really into the six pillars of faith in Islam any more: belief in god, in angel, in scriptures (Koran, Bible, Torah, and Psalm), in the prophets (including Abraham, Jesus and Muhammad), in Life after death, and in divine decree. The rest of the discussion is gone in my clouded mind.


Come to think of it, he is right. My whole life, I heard more about satan do this and that than about angel from moslems, while christians talks more about angel and less about satan. Why is that? Where did this fascination of satan stem from?

5 comments:

colson said...

In my orthodox protestant ( Christian) youth I had to endure a lot of talk ( nowadays I would call it bullshit) about doom, hell and Satan. So I'm not so sure there is that much difference between the three monotheistic religions.

I guess the main difference is between orthodoxy or fundamentalism in religions on the one hand and the liberal branches of it on the other. Liberal Islam - as far as I can see- is as mild, optimistic and relatively focussed on the here and now as is liberal Christianity.

(Says this agnostic).

PS: I really hope the pain you suffered from is over now.

triesti said...

I had years of both catholic and islamic education, the catholic mentioned satan in passing, while the islamic, like your experience, was full of doom, hell and satan. I guess both Islamic and orthodox protestant are big in making people scare so they commit.

Thanks Colson, I am almost back to my old self after a run to the hospital, given a massage and hanging out with lala.

Unknown said...

i think satan only turns up once or twice in the whole bible. a lot of ppl say that satan is a later addition also...

triesti said...

No, John, Satan was mentioned 59 times in the whole bible, and depending on the translation between 32 and 99 times in Quran.

I think there's a different definition of what satan is. Probably that's why.

Unknown said...

ah... i stand corrected...

yeh maybe they meant santa a couple of times, but it got mistranslated from the original greek.