Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cover Up And Nuclear

The Japanese nuclear power plant trouble is said started early on back in the 70's. It is really scary to think that even in Japan, where people still queued in the midst of disaster such a thing could happen. Even scarier to think that Indonesian government is flirting with the notion of having a nuclear power plant somewhere in Java. First, we are also in the ring of fire, which since the big Aceh earthquake is experiencing more earthquakes. Second, We are infamous for our corruption. I sure dont want to live near any nuclear power plant which is built according to the lowest bidder with g_d knows what kind of budget cutting trick.Third, and this is from personal observation, I dont think Indonesia is big in maintaining anything. Look at the roads in Jakarta: full of big holes. The Busway: some already have trouble in closing their doors. And the list goes on and on. If they cant even take care of the small things, I only wonder how would've been with some thing such as a nuclear power plant.

So, yes, I refuse the plan of having nuclear power plant. There are other alternatives that we could explore.

4 comments:

colson said...

A nuclear power plant on the ring of fire looks like pretty reckless gambling to me.

And maintenance?

After we visited Indonesia for the first time in '88 I went back with two vague ideas.

One of them was to talk a number of friends into a project to build or buy a Bugi schooner, because I had fallen in love with that ship.

And secondly the conviction a lot of money was waiting to be earned by maintenance (I had primarily buildings in mind).The speed at which many relative new constructions threatened to fall apart by lack of attention, was ( and is I'm afraid) striking.

Both plans did come to nothing obviously as the usual urgent daily worries took over again once we were back home :(.

Harry Nizam said...

Hi Triesti,
I agree with you that at this moment we are not in a condition to have a big capacity nuclear power reactor.
We badly need to improve our skills, discipline etc.

Actually we already have a multi purpose reactor located very close to Bumi Serpong Damai with a capacity of 30 megawatts which can light around 15,000 houses each with 2,000 watts.
After more than 20 years of existence never heard problems.

triesti said...

@colson, how about now? you have more time now..
@Harry, I know about the reactor near BSD for years now. I still dont agree about the location of it. If it is in Kalimantan which is more stable I have less concern. Sure we heard nothing so far, but from what I've noticed sometimes hearing nothing means cover up. Let's hope nothing bad will happen to that reactor, and other reactors (bandung and jogja)

colson said...

@ triesti: ran out of steam, ran out of ambition, I'm full time lover of my (grand)kids :)